Welcome to the Law Office of Joanne Leifheit


News:  In January of 2014, I began conducting a monthly complimentary estate planning workshop covering estate planning, special needs trusts, asset protection trusts, and Medicaid.  Feel free to contact my office for the next scheduled workshop dates and to reserve your spot as seating is limited.  We typically hold several workshops per month, and workshop start times are either 6:00 p.m. or 1:00 p.m. For additional information, upcoming workshop dates, and to reserve a seat, please contact my office!  Workshop brochures are also available in the office.  My office can be a challenge to locate the first time, so please also visit the page here on the website that provides directions and a map to the office prior to your first visit!

Welcome to my website. Please contact me by email or telephone if you need additional information, want to ask me questions, or want to schedule an appointment. My office is located 1.2 miles north of the Machine Shed Restaurant, just off of 164 (Pewaukee Road). My primary areas of practice include matters involving alzheimer’s disease of family members, veterans’ benefits analysis and representation before the VA, estate planning (wills, trusts, powers of attorney), probate and trust administration, court guardianships of adults, Medicaid (Title 19 also called Title XIX) planning and evaluation (elder law), and residential real estate.

I assist clients with common questions such as:

  • What is the difference between a living will and a will and a revocable living trust? Do I need or want any of those documents?
  • I am the spouse or widow of a veteran. Is my veteran spouse (or widow of a veteran) entitled to any additional benefits?
  • Can I gift money or property and what is this 5 year lookback for Medicaid (Title 19)? What is Family Care?
  • My family member just passed away. What do I do next?
  • I have a living will; do I need a power of attorney for health care?
  • A family member is entering the nursing home. Will the state take the house?
  • How can I avoid probate and should I be worried about estate taxes? How do I name a guardian for my child?
  • A family member has been diagnosed with dementia or alzheimers disease, but refuses to sign a power of attorney – what should I do?
  • My family member is in the hospital and needs to enter a nursing home. The hospital told me to contact an attorney for a court guardianship proceeding – can you help?
  • What is the difference between a revocable trust, asset protection trust, disclaimer trust, special needs trust, A-B trust, etc.?
  • I want to submit an offer to purchase on a house. The seller has a realtor. Do I need an attorney?
  • I am spending alot of my time helping my parent(s) with daily cares – is there anything I should be doing?

My goal is to educate you and provide you with guidance and representation. I speak in plain English and do not overwhelm you with legalese. I have been licensed to practice in Wisconsin since 1996 and I have served as President of the Waukesha County Bar Association’s Probate and Estate Planning Section since 2007. Contact me by email or telephone if you need assistance. I look forward to working with you.  Also, please visit my “News & Information Page” (the tab is located across the top of the website) and feel free to download my list of “111 Local Senior Citizen Discounts” (tab is located on the left side of the website).  My goal is to increase the list to over 200 discounts.